You may be able to claim Child Tax Credit if you’re responsible for children either:
· aged 16 or under - you can claim up until 31 August after their 16th birthday
· under 20 and in eligible education or training
You don’t need to be working to claim Child Tax Credit. Only one household can get Child Tax Credit for a child.
You could get Working Tax Credit if either of the following apply:
· you’re aged from 16 to 24 and have a child or a qualifying disability
· you’re 25 or over, with or without children
· work a certain number of hours a week
· get paid for the work you do (or expect to)
· have an income below a certain level
The basic amount of Working Tax Credit is up to £1,960 a year you could get more or less depending on your circumstances and income.
You can apply for Working Tax Credit even if you do not have children or you’re on leave or about to start a new job.